Saturday, November 19, 2005

Don't quit your day job...

I had a "Major League" moment yesterday. You know, the movie with Charlie Sheen and the Cleveland Indians winning the pennant? Hopefully both of you have seen that movie. It's one of my favorites mainly because of the greatness of Bob Uecker. He plays Harry Doyle, the radio voice of the Indians. He makes me laugh every time I watch that movie. Classic.

Anyway, there is one point in the movie where he is broadcasting and he flips it to his awful "color commentator" for analysis. The exchange goes like this:

Harry Doyle: "Monte, anything to add?"
Monte: "No."
Harry Doyle: "He's not the best colorman in the league for nothing."

So, here's the connection.

Yesterday, ACU's volleyball team played the first round of the Regional Tournament against Central Oklahoma. Now, on occasion (big matches), either David Bacon (longtime voice of Abilene Sports) or Lance Fleming (ACU's Sports Information Director) will broadcast the Volleyball Match on the radio. This was the case yesterday. Except yesterday, yours truly was the color commentator during the broadcast on KYYW.

Now, you see where this is going.

I've never done radio. Obviously. I have no training in broadcasting. I provide color commentary while watching football in my living room, and that constitutes my experience in the field.

Anyway, we do the open of the broadcast and it goes pretty well. Then we get to the game portion. It seems to be going okay until this. Here is the world class broadcasting exchange:

Lance Fleming: "Looks like the ball was tipped on the left side. I didn't see who tipped it, did you, Corey?"
Me: "No."
Lance: "Ok. So, Central Oklahoma will get the point then and will serve."

BRILLIANT! All you could come up with was..."no."???? Give me something...resembling...anything. I could almost hear my friend Garrett laughing at me. It was classic. Awful and embarrassing, but classic.

So, I do not plan to quit my day job anytime soon. By the way, the Wildcats won the match and now play in the NCAA Regional Semifinals. That is awesome. And hey, ACU is 1-0 with me as Color guy. That has to mean something...

6 Comments:

At 1:49 PM, Blogger GSub said...

I did my best to laugh as loud as I could. I guess it didn't make it all the way up to "Kearneyhell" as Mike so eloquently put it.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

I would have said the same thing. To any question anyone would ask me about any sport of any kind.

I was on the Optimist staff with Lance back in the day. Great guy.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger D Pitt said...

Great Job Corey, but I dont know if your allowed to call yourself "ACU's color guy"
- I reserve that title

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

Pittman is so full of garbage. He only gets half that title...so he can share the other half with you.

And truth be told, you did 100 times better than anyone in the USFL would do...but we ain't gonna admit that in public!

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Corey said...

I was going to say that this blog is public...then I remembered that I only have 4 readers (up from 2!). Yep...not public yet.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Val said...

Are you tryin' to say Jesus can't hit a curve ball?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home