Sunday, October 09, 2005

Random thoughts to start your week...

Just a few thoughts to randomly kick off the week. Be careful, my mind is a scary place.

----------------------

Speaking of Scary. I love Halloween. I admit it. I love scary stuff, carving pumpkins and letting my kids trick or treat. So many parents are anti-Halloween. I just don't get it.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't want fake pools of blood at the doorstep or Kyle (my 7 year old) chasing away Trick or Treaters with a chainsaw (isn't that a funny image), but I dig Halloween. If it is done right and honor is given to God, it can be a fun experience. Can't it? I grew up with ghosts, witches, pumpkins and bats around the house. I am not a serial killer (as far as you know). I just want my kids to have fun with it like I did. Am I wrong? Can you do Halloween while giving honor to God?

----------------------

ACU's Volleyball team has now won 31 straight matches at home. They are number 14 in the nation. The nation! That team is unbelievable. We played Eastern New Mexico last Thursday night and dominated them. Amanda Slate hit the ball so hard that when one of Eastern's players tried to dig it out, it knocked her clean off her feet. Greatness.

We played our bitter, bitter, bitter rival West Texas A&M Saturday. I was so nervous. I knew Tennessee and Georgia were playing, I knew it was Texas-OU, but I was nervous nonetheless. Call me crazy.

But nervous for no reason. ACU hammered WT and put us in great position to win the South Division. They dominated them. If you haven't been to a game and have the means, I highly recommend it. It is a blast.

----------------------

Is there a catchier song than "I Wanna Be Sedated" by the Ramones? I don't even like the Ramones and I can't stop singing that song. Someone help me.

----------------------

I watched the replay of Chris Burke's homer to beat the Braves over and over on TiVo. I still contest that the emotion of a big game winning play is one of the greatest things to behold. They showed a shot of the dugout with the crowd behind it as Burke hit the home run. You saw everyone leap to their feet in anticiptation and then raise their arms and jump up and down when the ball leaves the yard. It was a sight to behold. Just another reason why I love sports.

----------------------

ACU's Homecoming is this weekend. I'm a sucker for homecoming. I love seeing people who I may or may not remember and who may or may not remember me. It is all about awkward conversations, which are hilarious to me. There will be stories about friends who climbed the walls at Nelson to run through the girl's dorm, playing Tecmo Bowl until 3 a.m. and who had the best prank in Mabee. Homecoming is all about the social/spiritual side of ACU. There aren't a lot of conversations like this:

"Remember Professor Hancock's English class? That was a fascinating discussion of "The Scarlet Letter" we had that Wednesday."

"I know. I will never forget that day we studied Hamlet's Soliloquy. I still have the notes!"

Maybe there are these conversations. I just am not a part of them. Which speaks to my "academic prowess", I guess. Anyway, I can't wait for homecoming. Let the awkward conversations begin.

----------------------

Finally, after the best game ever, Tennessee promptly put up a doinker against Georgia. LSU must be terrible, because Tennessee is one of the worst football teams I have seen in a while. No offense. Lazy Defense. Horrible playcalling. It was awful to watch.

That is the thing with Tennessee football. One week you get a great comeback, the next you get squat. It has always been this way. Tennessee never has blowouts. It's always close and therefore always stressful. Plus, their schedule is stacked with strong opponents (I understand that logic) but then when they do get a cupcake, they just squeak by (see: UAB and Ole Miss). But, oh well, I guess you have to take the good and take the bad, take 'em both and there you have...

That is a long way to go for a Facts of Life joke. But I couldn't resist.

I do think Natalie and Tootie could start for the Vols though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home