Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Best. Game. Ever.

As both of you know, I like sports. Just a little.

There are few things that top the unpredictability of a game. It is fun to watch momentum swing from one group of athletes to another. It is cool to see a crowd react to something positive or negative on a field or court. It can be such an adrenaline rush to watch your team win. It is the ultimate reality show.

There are not many times that I sit and watch a game with no emotion. My friend, Garrett, tells me I look like an idiot when I watch football. He is dead on. Man, I wish he could have seen me last night.

Very few things get the "Save Until I Delete" designation on our TiVo. This got one. This is why I love sports.

Last night, during the Tennessee-LSU game, there might have been a little emotion. I was angry, depressed, sick, laughing (at awful offensive plays), apathetic, hopeful, fired up, worried, negative, elated and joyous.

Tennessee roared back from a 21-0 halftime deficit and a 24-7 score at the beginning of the 4th quarter. I was pretty resigned to a loss and an 0-2 start to conference play. However, I should have known...

I had seen this before. In 2000, I attended my first Tennessee game in Baton Rouge. Tennessee, much like last night, was quickly down 24-6 and then down 31-15 in the 4th quarter. They clawed back with two touchdowns and two 2-point conversions to tie the game and send it to overtime, where they promptly got hammered. LSU scored with their first possession (first play) in OT and then stopped Tennessee four straight times from the 8. It was a long bitter drive back to Abilene.

It was eerie how much last night resembled that game. UT was awful in the first half and the crowd was going ape. They played "Tiger Rag" every five seconds and those drunk cajuns went insane. Tennessee regrouped at halftime and started making plays, ultimately sending the game into OT. UT won the toss (just like 2000) and went on defense. LSU chose to go the direction of their student section and band. However, this time, the Vols stopped them (after a scary first down play) and made them kick a field goal. Tennessee promptly ran the ball down the Tigers' throats and won the game. Did they really just win? Unbelievable.

When Adam Vinatieri kicked the game winning kick against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, I laid in the floor with my arms in the air. No screaming. No jumping. Just disbelief and elation No way New England won the Super Bowl! New England?? The same thing happened last night. Laying on the floor...arms in the air. No way did UT just erase a 21-0 defecit. LSU had never blown a 21 point lead in Baton Rouge in 112 years. 112 years? Disbelief and Elation.

This is why I love sports.

Save until I delete.

2 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Michael said...

How 'bout the Chiefs? Oh yeah... they didn't claw or anything. They just layed down.

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Craig said...

Do you do that when ACU comes from behind to win?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home