Monday, August 22, 2005

"More Cowbell, Mr. Bond?"

Warning! Many of you could care less about what I am about to write. Consider yourself warned.

AMC is showing every James Bond movie up until Pierce Brosnan got the gig in the 90's. I'll admit it. I love James Bond movies. I always have. Every weeknight in August they have shown the original version followed with the Restored Widescreen Version. It is pure greatness. Anyway, here are some random thoughts on the James Bond Franchise.

Sean Connery is James Bond. James Bond is Sean Connery. Both of you would agree with this statement right? Here is the blasphemy part...I like Roger Moore better than Sean Connery. Sure, Sean was the original and most likely the best, but I just grew up with Moore. Plus, Roger Moore was in "The Cannonball Run"...very underrated, very stupid, very funny movie. I know what you are thinking. You haven't seen "Schindler's List", but you have seen "The Cannonball Run"? The answer is "yes...multiple times". Sue me.

Here is how I would rank the actors who have played James Bond. Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton. I know you were wondering...

My favorite Bond Movie is "The Man with the Golden Gun". Christopher Lee is great in that movie, as is Herve Villechaize. You know...Tattoo from Fantasy Island? That Herve Villechaize. Great Plot. Great Action. Great Movie. This bring up another point. How can Maud Adams be in this movie as a Bond girl that gets killed, and then be a Bond Girl in a later Bond flick, Octopussy? Is this possible? Did nobody raise a red flag? Imagine the casting meeting. "Hey wait! Didn't we kill her off in "Golden Gun"? Yeah, but nobody will remember...except one random guy in Abilene."

The ski scene to open "The Spy Who Loved Me" is the best opening in a Bond Movie. Check it out.

Which movie is on tonight, you ask? "Moonraker". James Bond meets Star Wars. This explains why I am typing right now. It's awful.

Timothy Dalton as James Bond doesn't even count. Worst. Bond. Ever. I think they originally tried to get Brosnan for these movies, but he was busy with "Remington Steele". Bad career move for Pierce...bad Bond Movies for us.

And finally, Christopher Walken is the villain in "A View to a Kill" (Duran Duran with the opening theme - Greatness). How am I going to watch him and not think "I got a Fever and the Prescription is More Cowbell"? I can never take him seriously again.

If only Blue Oyster Cult had done the James Bond theme song...

6 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

Greatness...but please, sir. Do not refer to "Cannonball Run" as a "stupid movie." "Cannonball Run" paved the way for showing outtakes and screw-ups at the end of a movie. BRILLIANT!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Lone Ranger said...

In the books, James Bond was NOT a nice guy. He was a stone killer and had a cruel streak running through him. Connery fit that image to a tee. Roger Moore looked more like an agent of U.N.C.L.E.

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

I like James Bond movies too, but would like them more if Bond drank Lemon-Drop Martinis.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Val said...

I think you like Moore because he was probably the guy when you were first exposed to Bond. But really, don't all the gay rumors overrule that? Conerry and Brosnan in that order and then I don't care very much. BTW, Brosnan is officially out. I don't know who the new guy will be. Also, it alsways freaks me out a little to learn that the same guy wrote both the Bond series and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Jacinda said...

This is too crazy. I am a huge bond fan and I was always ashamed to say that Roger Moore was my favorite because everyone loves Connery. I live for the 15 days of Bond that the cable channels run. My favorite is "For Your Eyes Only" because it is the first Bond that I saw in the theater. More Bond!!!!

Chris

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Old Pybus said...

wThe Man with the Golden Gun gave us one of the best Bond lines:

"He was born with a superfluous papillary"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home