Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Food Finds

My good friend Kevin Roberts has an amazing talent.

Name a city. Big. Small. Big population. Little Population. It doesn't matter. Do it now.

Alright, got that city in your head? Kevin can tell you the very best place to eat in that town. And here is the scary part...he's always right. Mention Dallas, you get Gennie's Bishop Grill. Mention Clayton, New Mexico, you get Rabbit Ears Cafe. Chicago? Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak, and Stone Crab. Buffalo Gap, Texas? Lola's Mexican. Everywhere you want to go and even some you don't (see: Clayton, NM)...he has a place to feed your face. I keep telling him that he needs to write a book...anyone know how to do that?

In celebration of my friend (who just was blessed with his third child)...I give you my Top Five Favorite Restaurants:

1. Downstairs at Erics -
Breckenridge, Colorado
A hole in the wall sports place (decorated with tons of old pennants...including the USFL!) that serves the most incredible pizza. Your choice of white, wheat, garlic white or garlic wheat crust. I could eat there everyday. It is hands down mine and my wife's favorite place to eat.

2. Perini Ranch Steakhouse - Buffalo Gap, Texas
If you've never been to Perini, you are missing out. The Green Chile Hominy is not to be overlooked and some would say that the
"Zucchini Perini" (Sliced zucchini baked in Italian meat sauce with fresh grated Parmesan cheese) is to die for. And the desserts, oh man. Homemade Strawberry Shortcake and Bread Pudding. Now, I'm getting hungry. Oh yeah, the steaks are unbelievable as well.

3. Smith and Wollensky Steakhouse - Dallas, TX
One of the best meals my wife and I have ever eaten. The Prime Rib is bigger than my head. They also make homemade Macaroni and Cheese (trust me) and the best seafood platter you can imagine.

4. Aloha Angel Cafe' - Kona, Hawaii
Found this little gem before snorkeling. Then we ate there the next day too. We each ordered the same thing. I've never eaten anything but breakfast there, but they have the best coconut syrup for your pancakes on the planet. The view of the ocean and the Coffee Beans growing on the trees outside make for an amazing experience.

5. Roy's Waikaloa Bar and Grill ("Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine") - Waikaloa, Hawaii
This is a personal favorite of my wife and I. They change the menu every night. Yep, one night you could eat Swordfish and then never see it on the menu again. Everything from top to bottom is amazing. You don't even have to go to Hawaii to eat there. They have them all over the Southwest (even in Dallas)

One of my favorite things about this list is that I have shared a meal at three of these restaurants with Kevin. Here's to you my friend.

It's no "desert island game", but think about your favorite places to eat. Eating always brings back good memories. Maybe it will brighten your day.

We have been blessed with some amazing cuisine in this country. Be sure and thank God today for the ability to eat and drink.

And pass the coconut syrup...


3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger MDM said...

Does your little Jenny have a blog??

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger MDM said...

Please tell Jen to blog. Tell her it is such a fun release and way to connect with others all over. Tell her that I print off my blogs for a notebook to each daughter. Come on, Jen!!

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

I lOVE Eric's in Breck! Good burgers AND they have a Galaga machine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home