Friday, May 27, 2005

Getting Back to Reality

TV sucks.

Just had to get that off of my chest.

Have we completely run out of ideas for television shows? Reality television continues to take over the world and it just bothers me. How many more ideas can actually be out there? I will admit, I have enjoyed a reality show every now and then. After the Ravens-Giants Super Bowl (still can't believe that happened), I watched my first "Survivor" episode and got unmercifully hooked. I, sadly, have watched most seasons since. I watched "The Amazing Race" this past season, and that wasn't too off-the-charts terrible. I even watched a few moments of this past season's American Idol (I have never watched it before, nor will I again...).

But reality is getting out of hand. Maybe we should get back to our imagination. I saw something incredibly disturbing on Tuesday. CBS has decided to get in the American Idol business..."Rockstar:INXS" debuts this summer.

Here is one writer's description of the show:

Each week will feature taped reality segments focusing on the performers’ relationships and activities, along with a performance competition and weekly elimination. The last person standing will become the lead singer of INXS, replacing the late Michael Hutchence. INXS had a string of worldwide hits in the late 1980s but their success has since waned and the band is best known for Hutchence’s suicide in a Sydney hotel room in 1997. Since Hutchence’s death, the band has experimented with a string of singers.

I have a few questions. Call them...concerns.

Do we really need an entire series devoted to finding a new lead singer of INXS? I mean, are we that starved for fair 80's music? Are we really wanting to go back to the days of "Suicide Blonde"? Did anyone know that INXS has repeatedly tried to find someone to sing? Does CBS really think that anyone will care after this show is over? What if the album stinks? Is anyone going to buy it because "this guy won a contest!"?. Does anyone care that this disrespects Michael Hutchence even a little? I don't think so.

Maybe, I am misguided.

Don't get me wrong..."Listen Like Thieves" and "Kick" were great albums. But come on, lead singers define bands. Only in very rare cases (see Van Halen and Audioslave) can you replace a very distinct lead vocalist and be successful. INXS is not one of those bands. Hutchence was a pretty good singer. His death was a tragedy, but INXS died long before he did. CBS cannot make INXS cool again. I firmly believe this.

What's sad is that this is a brilliant concept compared to "Nanny:911", "Super Nanny", "Hell's Kitchen", "Big Brother", "The Cut" and others. Add all of this to Psychic crime dramas, CSI: Tuscola and news magazines and you have exceptionally un-riveting TV. Sadly, I actually don't think reality TV will stop until they show an actual death on primetime network television (all you network execs reading this...don't get any ideas).

Why can't I invent a TV that only shows what I want to watch (basically sports and well, sports)? Somebody explain to me why I can't just have the Food Network, ESPN, the Travel Channel and the NFL Sunday Ticket.

A la Carte cable...what a great concept. Somebody needs to invent this. I'm serious. No more reality shows. No more crime dramas. No more steamy shows about housewives. Give me food, sports and world travel.

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to listen to "Kick".

3 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I heard that Grant Boone was going to be one of the rock auditioners for that show. He can rock it like nobodies business. And...leave CSI Tuscola alone. There is a lot of crime related drama there...expecially when it comes to taxidermy.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

An INXS post with no reference to the great album Shabooh Shoobah? "Don't Change" and "The One Thing" are my two INXS favorites. And thank you for not going into detail on Hutchence's death...although that could make for a heckuva reality show.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Deana Nall said...

I loved Michael Hutchence...LOVED HIM!!! :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home