Thursday, April 28, 2005

"Some Hither, Others Yon"

Just like the old Blackie Sherrod columns, this one has no direction...just a bunch of random stuff. Or as he liked to say..."Scattershooting while wondering what ever happened to Ron Springs." Enjoy!

Reunion V

Thanks to my friend, Jarod Cox, I realized that we use Roman numerals to count reunions instead of "Super Bowl Numbering". Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Last weekend was unreal. We had an absolute blast. Got 10 hours of sleep over 2 days. Played awful golf. Prayed with each other. Learned things about medicine I never wanted to know from Paul Watts. Ate great food. It was an incredible weekend. I just pray that each of you (well, both of you reading this) will have the same kind of experience with old friends soon. It is truly a blessing.

4 and out?

Watched my first two NBA games of this season on Tuesday night. My friend, Bart Herridge would curse me. But, what happened Tuesday is exactly why I don't watch the NBA. My two favorite teams, the Celtics and Mavs, both lost in the closing seconds and I just got mad. I don't need to do that. Maybe if I rooted for teams that have actually done anything since '86, it would be different. But they just let me down. Plus, the basketball isn't really that good. The most entertaining thing is just watching Michael Finley and remembering how much he looks like '80's icon, Billy Ocean. I love that.

Anyway, at least for the Mavs, it looks like it could be trouble. So, once they are out and the Celts lose...Basketball season will be over again. Thank goodness we have baseball.

It's a Crayola World

Kyle's first Coach Pitch Baseball practice is tonight. He is now a proud member of the Padres which means he is already better than Ryan Klesko. But, we got the note that said, "Kyle has been placed on the Padres. Their team color will be 'Sand'". Is sand really a color? What happened to brown? I understand that "brown" may not be descriptive enough. You might have to expand on that. But couldn't you say "light brown" in that case?

Has J Crew really had that much effect on the world? Where did normal colors go? Everything is Sand, Kelly, Rose, Ivory, and Port. Now I have to explain to people that will come to the games that we are the team wearing Sand... The only time you should wear sand is when you go to the beach. Sheesh.

Game winner

As, I was walking out to the car yesterday, my friend Aaron said "congrats on your game winning homer". Yep, I did it again. I beat the Reds in the bottom of the ninth. I have to admit, that never gets old for me. For someone with a name you don't hear everyday, I get a kick out of hearing Peter Gammons talk about how great I am. I won't lie.

And Finally...the NFL Draft

Is there anything more overdone than the draft? I think this just shows how huge the NFL is. The fact that a lot of these guys in a few years will either a.) be on different teams or b.) out of the league faster than Tim Couch never ceases to amaze me. So many people pour the entire lives into the draft (see: Mel Kiper, Jr.) only to get most of it wrong. It is really actually pretty funny. It's your world NFL, everyone else is just playing in it.

Thanks, Blackie for the idea of "Scattershooting". We miss you...

1 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger Michael said...

My favorite... sand. It's just darker than cheesecake and just lighter than mocha frost. And it goes so well with bark, cinnamon toast and ocean swell.

Glad you had a great time. Good to have you back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home