Friday, June 03, 2005

Trading Spaces

We will sleep in our new house tonight.

For those of you that know me, you might say, "I thought you just moved 18 months ago?". You would be correct.

In November of 2003, we moved from our little starter home (circa 1942) and purchased my grandmother's house that she and my late grandfather had lived in since 1985. However, as we lived there for a year and a half, we realized that it would never be "our house". As long as that house was in our family it would have been hers. Now, don't get me wrong, she never said that. But it is how we felt.

Than God started moving...

8:00 pm of Tuesday during Lectureship 2004, there was a knock on our front door. It was raining and dark. The man at the door said that he heard that we might be selling our house in the future and wondered if he and his wife (who were moving to Abilene from California) could take a look. They were just about to sign a contract on a house, but wanted to look at ours. They looked and seemed indifferent. The phone rang 15 minutes after they left (no exaggeration). "We are infatuated with your house. If you want to sell it...we want to buy it right now.", said our mystery house hunter. We pondered during the miscarriage and agreed. God had given them our house, and given us a way to find our own house.

So, we are pondering this whole deal, wondering if we should build or buy or not sell at all. Here comes dear, sweet Gina Lewis (who my wife works with) asks Jennifer out of the blue if we knew anyone who might buy their house. (They were wanting to downsize) We looked and knew immediately that this is what we wanted and we agreed to buy it.

Now, I am not one to say that it is all about us. But, I do believe that God had three couples lined up to relocate and put us all together. It was too perfect to be anything else. Our buyers needed a house for a 7 year old girl and a 4 year old boy...Bingo!...enter our house with a pink and green bedroom and a baseball bedroom. Mark and Gina needed out from under their house quickly to downsize and take care of some things. Bingo!...there we were to buy our perfect house.

There is no explanation for this except...God. He is wonderful and gives us more than we need. I pray that Jennifer and I can use this house to bless the lives of friends, family, college students and those in need for years to come. God is awesome.

Now, if they will only hook up our phones...

3 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Blogger Sarah P said...

Huge congrats to you and Jenn!
Brock and I have been missing you guys so much. Even more so recently.
We wished for you guys at the lake all last weekend.
I've actually been in the house you guys just bought because of dinners and meetings throughout college. It's a great one. And you'll be right next door to the Earles family (Katey Earles was a bridesmaid at our wedding). Heads up on that family: Cindy Earles makes fresh bread often. Be sure and hit that up!
We love you. Hug the kids for us.
Sarah

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Mark Lavender said...

Let's see....I unloaded the truck on a hot day when you moved to Abilene from Colorado. I helped you move from Heritage Park to EN 20th. From EN 20th to EN 16th. From EN 16th to Roundtree. Are you nomads??

Seriously, you have a great house. Plus, I got free pizza!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Katey said...

I heard that you've already gotten bread from Mom. Lucky man! That is one definite thing that stinks about being 800 miles away... I think Sarah can attest to that too. I hope moving wasn't too traumatic and exhausting and you guys are getting used to the neighborhood. It's a great place... and did I mention your neighbor is a FANTASTIC cook??!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home