Tuesday, April 12, 2005

What my dog teaches me about God

This may be one of the silliest things I have ever typed. And yet, it makes perfect sense to me. I hope it does for you...

As you may know, we have a new dog. She is smart, sweet and chews on everything. I love her and yet sometimes she drives me crazy.

But as Kona (our dog) continues to live in our house, she becomes more loyal, more obedient, and more loving. She loves to sleep in my chair. She goes nuts when we come home. She is goes even crazier when she hears us getting her food. She depends on us for everything. She can't eat unless we feed her. On a cold night, we give her a warm place inside to sleep. She is hyper and happy when we are around and sad and crying when we aren't. She can't stand to let us out of her sight. She curls up in my lap and feels relaxed and safe. She trusts us enough to obey when we give her simple commands.

But as she slept in my lap last night...I started thinking about how our relationship with our dog should be exactly how our relationship with God should be. We need him to feed us. We should curl up in his lap, trust him and feel safe with him. We should always keep him in our sight. We should trust him enough to obey even the simplest of commands. God is our master and we should desire to be with him at all times. Nothing should make us happier than to be with him.

It might be a silly concept, but God works in mysterious ways. Maybe this is a good way to "train" me.

God, help me to be loyal. Help my unbelief and increase my trust in you. You give me all I need, help me to never to take that for granted. Continue to teach me in mysterious ways. You are so amazing, I want to give all of my life to you.

1 Comments:

At 10:40 AM, Blogger JKMeeks said...

Corey Patterson, I am glad to know you are a blogger too! Jeremy and I were talking about you the other day and laughing at some of our fun trips with the light and you! Hope all is well, we are still in Abilene and having our first baby in August! WHOA, time flies! I remember when side hug was my admissions couselor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home