Thursday, April 21, 2005

A Time to Laugh and A Time to Cry...

It's Reunion Time...

About five years ago, my good friend Israel Lewis sent an e-mail that said this...

Hey Guys
Much like MLK, I have a dream
The Lord has blessed us far too great in our friendships not to enjoy them more. The emails are great but we need a yearly reunion.

We had talked about this a couple years back and one of you idiots dropped the ball. So here is the plan. Since Beans & I are with child I say the sooner the better (before baby).

What about 1st or 2nd Friday night in March we meet for dinner at Dave-N-Busters, then head to a hotel for the night. We crash at a hotel that has a hot tub to relive ZAMBIA then take off after breakfast.

Just my first thought. Let me know what you guys think. And also forward this to anyone I have left out. If anyone knows the whereabouts of Housie Brad Ballard he would be welcome

Hope we can get a date
IL

And so it was born... Five Years ago this week, we scrapped the Dave and Busters idea and 6 guys got together at a friend's house near Lake Whitney, Texas and laughed, played golf, reminisced, and had a blast. Since then it has grown to 11 guys and we plan on meeting together through the years (this is Reunion V - we use "Super Bowl" numbering...). It is such an amazing group of guys and we all have such a weird intertangling of our lives. Just to name a few:

- we all went to ACU together and some of us were roommates (off and on)
- 9 of us grew up in Abilene and went to school (again...off and on) together
- 10 of us were in club together (I'm the "outsider" in this aspect)
- some dated the same girls
- some were in each other's weddings
- some played soccer together

And the connections and shared experiences go on. But the one amazing thing to me (that we talk about every year), is that each of us has a different occupation. We all have such different gifts from God, but we are one. I know you are wondering...so here is the breakdown:

1 artist, 1 opthamologist, 1 in real estate, 1 dentist, 1 psychologist, 1 family practice doctor, 1 attorney, 1 accountant, 1 youth minister, 1 coach, and 1 in education.

Our lives are all so different, yet we have so much in common. We believe God is using our group to make a difference in many phases of life. I ask for his blessing on my friends and their lives.

Our reunions are filled with discussion, sharing what is happening in our lives (we set aside specific time for that), golf, poker, crying, eating, and much, much laughter. It is truly a blessing to have these guys in my life. God is good.

So, tomorrow, I will be heading to Lake Whitney for "Reunion V". I will be getting together with 11 of my very best friends in the world.

And to get another glimpse of Heaven...

1 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

So...how was the weekend???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home